Sunday 23 August 2009

First Post

I start this journal in order to marshall my thoughts and to provide a record of a journey that I hope will prove short and easy but suspect might be rather rocky and long.

My gorgeous younger daughter, the Waif, is 13 years old and 35.5kg (that's just over 5 and a half stone). She is taller than I am, and I am slim at 8 stone (51kg).

Her BMI is 13.87 - I have just checked it at Findmybmi.co.uk. This site also tells me that this puts her in the anorexic category. She is a moderate risk of:

  • Hypertension
  • Dyslipidemia
  • Type 2 diabetes
  • Coronary heart disease
  • Stroke
  • Gallbladder disease
  • Osteoarthritis
  • Sleep apnea
  • Endometrial, breast, and colon cancer
Hmmm.... I may take this with a pinch of salt as I see that the recommendation is that she try a free supplement of Acai Berries. Double hmmm.... this site is not one I shall visit again.

Yes, of course I have taken her to the GP, who seems quite unconcerned, which is both comforting he should know what he is talking about shouldn't he?) and worrying (I am sure there is something wrong).

Daughter Mine had got to 39kg after 2 weks of strict 3 meals a day (despite any impact this might have on our day) on holiday in France but that has fallen off in the last fortnight, whcih included a week on a PGL riding holiday where I am guessing she ate hardly anything at all.

Breakfast: she ate a small Pain au chocolat, two slices of peach and drank a carton of OJ.
I am determined to fit in elevensies (some fruit is al she will agree to but is better than notihing) a lunch (picnic in Greenwich park) and supper (roast lamb and veg). I will even now determine to cook an apple crumble for pudding.

I predict that the rest of us inthe faily are going to put on weight! This will be worthwhile if it enables the Waif to get back on track.

Perhaps on Tuesday I will get her back to the GP and demand that he does something ...but what? Surely all she can do is eat more?

No comments:

Post a Comment