Tuesday 25 August 2009

Progress

I have today weighed the Waif again - twice a week seems to be reasonable. She comes in at 36.5kg which is reassuring to me but somewhat devastating to her. She immediately stalks off and slams her bedroom door.

I plough on. I insist she eat a sausage toastie for breakfast, but slip in resolve when it came to the apple juice - the Waif wanting calorie free water, and promising to drink the juice later in the day....this is a common ploy on her part:

"Mummy, I am saving my piece of cake to eat later in front of the tv" then, later "oh, mummy, supper was so filling, I don't have space for the cake. I will eat it tomorrow." etc etc. She is so plausibly charming.

I have googled Anorexia and Mummy and found this article in the Times:


Unfortunately, it addresses only the problem of some woman worrying that her daughter might be too fat!! The Waif is def not too fat. Bi-afran is how she looks :-(

I have taken note, though, of the ideal day's food menu provided at the end of the article. Sigh, hitherto I have rarely served snacks or puddings so my children would not eat as much as in the ideal day's food diary. By some way :-( I guess that is why we are all on the slim side . I don't mind that but Waif has taken it too far.

Left to her own devices, Waif is willing to eat only ONE thing for breakfast (either a small bowl of milkless cereal OR a croissant without butter OR a bowl of fruit), three quarters of a tuna sandwich for lunch and then some fish and vegetables for supper. I estimate this to total about 1,000 calories - well short of the 1,800 she needs.

My older daughter buys Hello magazine and Shout and Look. On a flick through, I see they are devoted to slagging off celebrity women for being a) overweight and b) underweight. I am going to ban those mags from the house. Why does anyone buy them anyway? What a load of drivel.

I cannot decide whether or not to book another doctor's appointment. Waif will point out that she has put on weight in the last few days. I am going to change tack and contact Waif's school for advice. It being a high pressured London girls' private school, they have a vast bank of knowledge and resources (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment