Tuesday 9 March 2010

What kind of mother am I?

Having taken Waif for a throat scan a few weeks ago, I did follow up with a call to my doctor's surgery a fortnight ago. The results were just in but had not yet been looked at by a doctor. ..the receptionist said that a doctor would be looking at them later that day.

I left it at that, thinking that the surgery would be in touch if there was a problem. Anyway, negligent even though I am, whilst pondering how much Waif has been eating (maybe) and yet still losing weight, I chased up the results this morning. It seems that there has been a note sitting on Waif's file saying that there is "no mass" but she does have an enlarged thyroid and, query, an inflamed thyroid. She should make an appointment (non-urgent - phew: guilt, step back one pace) with the GP to discuss.

Luckily, Waif is off school this afternoon (it's netball and gym afternoon and I am just about to pick her up) and my wonderful GP has a cancellation at 3.40pm, so we will go along together. Meantime I am resisting the urge to google "inflamed thyroid".

I am expecting this to all come to nothing, given that Waif's thyroid function blood tests were normal but then I am no doctor.

Once again, I am so glad not to be in work at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. You are a good Mother - a Mother who is kind of overwhelmed right now, at a loss as to what to do with a young daughter in the grip of this despicable illness - and I think you are doing the best you know how to do, trying to find help, trying to discover more about Anorexia in order to help Waif...it is SO INCREDIBLY HARD for parents to comprehend this disorder and I am proud of you for hanging in there and keeping up your attempts to help Waif, as well as keep the rest of your family going.
    Sometimes, i guess i forget just how bizarre and impossible to understand, this illness is for those who haven't had it.
    You are doing a good job.
    Love Jennifer xx

    ReplyDelete